Address the question of
how the author thinks about the challenges of difference (in terms of race,
gender, etc.) to democratic theory and practice.
Hoing asserts that difference
challenges democratic theory and practice because it poses challenges to home
and agency. Home, a space of identity, is said to be centered around the I and
is a place that is free of conflict and difference. Hoing states that this type
of home can only be made upon the displacement of Others, with clear
demarcations from all that is different. She also states that difference
destabilizes certain concepts of agency but allows for a type of agency that is
open to and not threatened by such difference. What difference allows is a new
type of subject, one that doesn’t retreat to the private home or use agency to
seclude themselves. All this seclusion causes is a subject that sees difference
as coexisting within a single self which limits how we view identity. The new
subject is decentered and understands identity and difference as constantly
engaging and perpetually moving. This is a concept similar to what Kristeva proposed
for revolt wherein this perpetually moving self destroys categories that are
restrictive. I think in this case, the perpetual motion of identity destroys
this concept of the home as a stable and unchanging haven for identity. Without
this home, the I is destabilized and the subject is not separate from all that
is different. This allows for subjects that advocate for politics that are
inclusive, just, and sensitive to difference because now everyone has an equal
stakes in the implementation of these inclusive policies.
Hi Lynette: I really liked how you related the Hoing reading to Kristeva's in the terms of motion. I think this idea of identity and politics being fluid is a reoccurring theme in our class. In the Young reading that I did for this weekends homework I also had in mind the idea of fluidity. Young advocates for communicative democracy, which opens people up to be transformed by the stories of others. In a way, I believe this is also an argument for ones identity being fluid.
ReplyDelete