Sunday, April 12, 2015

"The Seriously Erotic Politics of Laughter" by Cynthia Willett and Julie Willett's

What struck me the most about this reading was the idea that feminist philosophy could be considered to be a lesser theory simply because it lacks universality. During the semester, we have discussed the obstacles to women face when attempting to organize a universal women's movement, and the fact that these obstacles can cause such a negative outlook on feminist theory and philosophy due to a lack of a "cohesive movement" seems absurd. What's more, it lacking the mainstream component gives people (men especially) cause to discard it hysterical and radical, encouraging women to adhere to ideals of motherhood, chastity, and serving/pleasing men. Yes, many obstacles exist within the feminist movement, but that does not mean it negates or invalidates its ideals and arguments. What I really loved about this piece is that is shows how women can adopt humor mixed with vulgarity to become something that does not fit the viewpoint men have of women, which leads them to shed their characterization of bodily pleasure for men. It allows women to create their own unique persona, invalidating the stereotype men place on women. Furthermore, when women shed this veil of purity and demonstrate a character similar to that of men, the action destroys any submissive illusion men may have while at the same time demonstrating that having universal feminist movement is naive. This is due to the diversity within the female population, one that mimics the one within the male population, putting everything into perspective and perfectly invalidating the immature view that the entire female population needs a united, feminist movement to equally represent all women.




1 comment:

  1. Fernanda, I found myself nodding my head throughout reading of your post! I think you clearly and eloquently captured the Willets’ ideas of fumerists and female comedy. Due to the lack of acceptance of feminist theory in mainstream philosophy, comedy has been used as a mainstream outlet to discuss the stereotypes men place upon women. I think my favorite quote from your post was when you stated, “Furthermore, when women shed this veil of purity and demonstrate a character similar to that of men, the action destroys any submissive illusion men may have while at the same time demonstrating that having universal feminist movement is naive.” I think your statement perfectly captured the fumerist purpose and its counter narrative against universal ideas of feminism. Again, I was totally engrossed in your post and thought you did an amazing job. I hope we can talk about this more in tomorrow’s class!

    ReplyDelete