Using Bernard
Williams’s analysis and examples of ordinary and radial dilemma and pluralism,
Honig takes a critical step further in explaining the concept of home and its application
when facing difference in democratic practice. Honig argues that people have an
idealistic concept of home, “a place free of power, conflict, and place—an
identity, a form of life, a group vision—unmarked or unriven by difference and
untouched by the power brought to bear upon it by the identities that strive to
ground themselves in its place” (258). Often compared to a mother’s womb, home
is a conceptual place where our internal beliefs and integrity take precedent.
As a result, we forever yearn home and have an internal instinct to preserve
it. However, Honig recognizes this concept of home brings a plethora of issues.
First, Honig argues (citing Bernice Reagon’s “Coalition Politics”) that home, a
place with no conflict or difference, does not mirror the real world, a place
filled with “Others” (people differing from us ideologically, racially,
emotionally, and psychologically). Rather, it leaves certain people confined to
a place a privilege, while “Others” are repelled and dismissed. Additionally,
Honig recognizes that this desire to maintain the home and keep it away from
conflict leaves people with two options—withdrawal (“to a supposedly safe home
that is elsewhere, away from the all this tumult”) or conquer (“of that tumultuous
disorder in order to build a supposedly safe home here.”) (270). For this
reason, Honig describes home as “dangerous” and “engag[ing] zealotry” (Ibid). Consequently,
she, in addition to feminist theorists Teresa de Lauretis and Bernice Reagon, believe
that in order to establish democratic empowerment the concept of home must be
challenged and interrogated. They argue this is the only way difference and
dilemmas bring social democratic struggle.
Avery, your response left me very eager to discuss this reading! I am torn in my opinion of home: no matter where you are, it is a good thing to be "democratically empowered," but on the other hand, must the home be politicized to become "democratically empowered"? I agree that home is a place of privilege; I go home when I need a place to compose my thoughts when I am feeling irrational and out of control. However, I enjoy being able to be alone and pull myself together at home. I do not necessarily know if I would be able to be myself if my home were a political arena. A political arena where one is forced debate and let reason triumph is something everyone should participate in, but must they do that at home? I wonder if there is some institutional balance we could strike so that home and state could be separate arenas without letting injustice flourish in the gray area between them.
ReplyDelete